Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sticking to an outline

When I decided to try and taken on Nano this past November I figured my best chance to finish the 50,000 words in the allotted time, was to create a basic outline.  Being a pantser, I gave it my best shot and actually came up with something fairly respectable - in my opinion.

I knew how I wanted the story to begin and I knew how I wanted it to end - and that I wanted to have horses involved somehow.  What I didn't know was how I wanted to get from beginning to end - typical pantser style.  The outline I created was scarcely what I would call detailed, but it was just enough to give me the jump that I needed.

Here is a brief example of my outline:

Chapter 1 - Natalie devises a way to kill herself
Chapter 2 - Natalie attempts to kill herself
Chapter 3 - Natalie wakes up in a hospital and is given her treatment options.

I created 24 chapters to help guide me on my writing path for this novel.  Obviously, I didn't finish Nano (boo) but I was well on my way.  Using my outline, I've noticed how much easier it is to find my way through the story.  I'm still pantsing it for the most part as in even though I know what is supposed to happen within the chapter, I don't know who the players will be and how they will help move the chapter forward.

I've had to rearrange a couple chapters, add some and change the direction of a couple others, but for the most part, the outline has really helped to keep me focused on where the novel will go.  I think after I finish "Penelope," and I'm on to my next novel, I will once again use an outline similar to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment