Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NaNoWriMo = Research

When I decided to sign on for this year's Nano, I wasn't expecting to be struck with an idea I find somewhat controversial.  But I was - nonetheless.  The story I'll be working on is about a 17 year old girl that attempts suicide and what her road to recovery is like.  This is not something I'm familiar with, but it feels like a story I need to write.

So how does one go about writing about teen suicide when they know nothing about it?  The answer, plain and simply, is, research.  Of course, I'm not saying go try to commit suicide (seriously, don't do it, your life is worth so much).  The area in which I need to research is what happens to a teen after the suicide attempt occurs.  In my story, she is sent to a Equine (horse) Rehab Camp along with other teens with health risks.  She meets other struggling teens, participates in private and group Psychology sessions and befriends an abused rescue horse.

My character learns a lot about herself through life at camp and with the Psychology sessions she learns to love and trust others, and becomes a better person.  For those interested, this is a Young Adult novel, so (of course) there is a love interest with his own set of problems.

Okay - now, how do I do Psychology research?  Obviously I don't have a degree in Psychology so the next best thing is to find someone who does.  When I attended a writing workshop this past weekend (great by the way), the two presenting authors recommended writing to people in the profession in which you need help.  Seriously, why didn't I think of that?  Today, I've sent an email to a College Regent Professor in hopes of gaining knowledge for my novel - I do hope I'll hear back from her as I know it will only make this novel that much stronger.

By the way, NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow!  Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment