Monday, October 22, 2012

My Writing: How Music Influences My Writing

I listed a playlist a while ago in one of my posts and today, I thought I'd expand upon that a bit.  When I write, I listen to music.  Always.  I'm lucky to have a pretty fantastic amp in my family room that plays Pandora radio (thanks dear hubby for being the techie that you are).  I have my Pandora station tuned to the Gotye channel.  Always.

While I was writing The Phoenix, as song would come on and it would spur the creativity like crazy.  Now, I don't mean I would hear a song and write the lyrics into the novel; but more like it steered the direction of the scene.  Remember, I'm a pantser.  My stories take on a life of their own at times.

So, in the song Run by Snow Patrol, the chorus his incredible - well, the whole song is really.



In this particular song, the chorus really moves me:

Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you dear

Louder louder

And we'll run for our lives
I can hardly speak I understand
Why you can't raise your voice to say


It's one of those bits of music that invokes such a great mental image, that unfortunately, the video (neither the one above or the "official" one) live up to - sorry Snow Patrol.  I still LOVE you.

In my head, I see a man and a woman standing in parking lot on a dark, cold night.  She has her back to him and he's trying to convince her to run away with him.  She's afraid and he doesn't understand her hesitation.  He's reaching for her and she pulls away; but he won't stop trying to reach her...

Okay, now let's talk about Mumford & Sons, specifically their song Thistle & Weeds.  Again, the whole song is great, filled with angst and powerful lyrics.



Just for good measure, here are all the lyrics:

Spare me your judgements and spare me your dreams,
Cause recently mine have been tearing my seams,
I sit alone in this winter clarity which clouds my mind,
Alone in the wind and the rain you left me,
It's getting dark darling, too dark to see,
And I'm on my knees, and your faith in shreds, it seems.

Corrupted by the simple sniff of riches blown,

I know you have felt much more love than you've shown,
And I'm on my knees and the water creeps to my chest.

But plant your hope with good seeds,

Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds,
Rain down, rain down on me,
Look over your hills and be still,
The sky above us shoots to kill,
Rain down, rain down on me.

(There's a bunch of 'hold on's' here)


I begged you to hear me, there's more than flesh and bones,

Let the dead bury their dead, they will come out in droves,
But take the spade from my hands and fill in the holes, you've made.

But plant your hope with good seeds,

Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds,
Rain down, rain down on me.

Good stuff, huh?  There are so many great songs out there that inspire me in my writing.  What inspires you?

No comments:

Post a Comment