Friday, October 12, 2012

My Writing: On Smiles

I've noticed that in my writing, my characters do a lot of smiling.  A.  LOT.  Okay, you may think.  That's not a bad thing, is it?  Smiling is good for the soul.

Yes.  That's true.

Unless every page has someone smiling, or grinning, or they smile...

As in - Jane smiled at Bobby's joke.
Next page:  Bobby grinned while Jane grabbed the rolling pencil.
Next page:  Susan's lips curled into a smile wider than the English Channel.

I just went  through the 109 pages of Untouchable (still a work in progress) and reduced the "smiles" from 100 to 33.  How does one do that?  Let me show you:

Before:  Her mother forces a smile as she tells me now is not a good time.
After:   Her mother’s face draws tight, almost pinched as she tells me now is not a good time.

Which way do you prefer?  I feel like the "after" gives you a better feel for the look on the mother's face, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment