Friday, October 26, 2012

NaNoWriMo or Bust

November is National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo for those who may be interested (and if you're reading here, you should be).  30 days to write 50,000 words beginning November 1 and ending November 30.

Crazy.

I know.

But, it's possible!  The proof is on their website, where dozens of participants have gone on to publish their NaNoWriMo novels.

Here's the catch, the novel you write in NaNo has to be a brand spankin' new project.  This means you can not have written ANY part of the actual novel before November 1st.  This DOESN'T mean you can't have been writing up some majestic outline and character traits and world building.  Actually, all that is encouraged and there are workshops all over the US (and I'm sure outside of the US) that you can attend and start story building -- just not story writing.  Does that make sense?  Good.



So (notice I begin a lot of sentences with that?) I'm not saying that I'm going to make the 50K word count goal in 30 days, but I'm going to give it a shot.  I tried about 5 years ago and didn't get very far.  Remember?  Pantser here.  A pantser then, a pantser now.  BUT, I've actually written down a very basic outline for a new project, oddly enough.  So who knows, maybe I will make it this year...cross my fingers.

Of course, that makes typing quite difficult...

No comments:

Post a Comment