Monday, October 12, 2015

Book Review: My Strongest Weakness


From author Brighton Walsh comes another fast-paced, sexy new adult romance novella set in the '90s where two people can't be so wrong for each other.  Nothing says opposites attract like an All-American college football star and a grunge-loving film student.

MY STRONGEST WEAKNESS is the first novella in this '90s PLAYLIST anthology and trust me, you won't be disappointed.  A great opener for the remaining five novellas, you'll be pulled into Tia and Mason's story from the start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Blurb:

She's the last thing he needs, but she's the only thing he wants...as long as it's behind closed doors.

It was supposed to be a one-time thing. No one would find out; no one would have to know. And then once turned into twice, and twice turned into several times a week, and now pierced, punk-loving, rebellious Tia Lanning is banging Mason Brooks, the big man on campus and Mr. All American.

But banging him isn't the problem. Falling for him is. Especially when he's content to let her remain his dirty little secret.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Review:
4 / 5 stars


Sex: Yep.  Scenes are steamy with full description.

Language: MY STRONGEST WEAKNESS loses a quarter star for me because of the use of the *F* word more than 3-4 times.  Personally, I'm just not a fan of it and feel it's overused.

Violence: Nope.

Drugs/Alcohol: Yep, frat parties=alcohol.

Nudity: Surprisingly there really isn't any even with all the sex.

What I Loved:  I love underdog stories, and I really felt like Tia was the underdog here.  Even though she is strong in her own right, when she is with Mason it makes her question everything she's ever thought she knew about love. 

Why Only 4 Stars?  As I mentioned above, MY STRONGEST WEAKNESS lost a quarter star due to language. Another quarter star was lost due the abrupt ending.  I realize this was a novella, a short story really, and it has to end somewhere, but I really wanted more.  The remaining half star was lost because Mason and Tia's story was hard to relate to even though I went to college in the late 90s.  I am just not sure a guy like Mason and a girl like Tia would ever wind up together as they do in this story.  But then again, their story works because when they're together, their chemistry is hot.

What I want more of: I wanted a real HEA (happily ever after), not just a ending sex scene.

Who Would Like This? I think MY STRONGEST WEAKNESS is appropriate for anyone 17 and older who likes to read romance or stories about college life.  But be forewarned, the sex scenes are pretty explicit and detailed (not to mention steamy).

I am a child of the '80s and '90s, I even went to college in the '90s (albeit the late '90s), but I went nonetheless.  I remember frat parties, heck I was even in a sorority.  So to say that I was feeling a bit nostalgic is an understatement.  I felt as though I was right there with Tia as she went to her first frat party, however the frats at the college I went to weren't nearly as clean as Zeta Alpha Tau.

Mason's world of cheerleaders and sorority girls doesn't mesh with Tia's film lovers and grunge aficionados, but when they get together their chemistry is explosive.  Pushed together through their joint Econ class, they find each other unable to resist the other.

When their feelings begin to take over their primal urges, both are confused and afraid what it might mean for their reputations with their friends and family.  Mason's in line to become the next president of his fraternity and a girl who looks like Tia isn't someone who mixes with with Zeta Alpha Tau, not to mention his wealthy parents.

Brighton's prior New Adult novels are pretty amazing and you can be sure to have tons of stomach drops and twinges behind your ears with all the emotions you'll feel.  MY STRONGEST WEAKNESS follows suit with all those feels and make you want to break out your old Discman if you still have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment