Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Juggling editing and writing

I'm often bombarded by characters or story lines and find myself jumping projects quite a bit.  However, over the past nine months, I've worked hard on focusing on just one novel at a time.  Has it been easy?  No.  There are a few things I've noticed which creep their way in trying to distract me, and now that I know what they are, I know to avoid them.  Sort of.  Hey, I'm doing my best.

But, here I am finished with, let's call it Project K (since I have a bunch of projects before this one), and working on editing.  Let me tell, editing is So. Much. Fun.  Please tell me you can sense the sarcasm...Yes?  Anyway, now that I'm editing Project K, my son keeps bugging me to finish Project I, which I will do...when I feel inspired.  But in the meantime, I wrote a tiny little blurp for a contest and I would love to work on that one, Project J.  Of course then there is Project L which I posted here on the blog a couple days ago.

Project L is what a REALLY want to be working on - because the story is there and ready to be written.  The characters keep pestering me to write them and so I'm finding it hard to juggle the editing, which I NEED to finish and the writing, which I WANT to do.

So how do you choose?  Do I have to choose?

I don't think so.

I've decided that while I want to write (and will) on Project L, I'm going to set an editing timer and do at least two 30 minute to 1 hour editing sprints each day until I finish it.  Which, in the grand scheme of things, shouldn't take me too long since I'm 2/3rds of the way finished with round 1 edits.

So, wish me luck.  I'm going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment