Friday, September 21, 2012

My Writing: Round 1 Revisions...DONE!

Ha!  Take that round 1 revisions.  I have finished thee.  On September 5th I gave my self a goal of two weeks to complete my first set of revision and now 17 days later I'm done (ahem...please ignore my 3 day overage, this is my first editing attempt after all).

So, what have I learned?

  1. When you write your first draft (pantser style as I do) your fingers tend to type one or two words behind your brain, such as: Yesterday, I to the mall to buy a new shirt.  Did you catch it?  The missing word?  Read it again, you will.
  2. Correcting the tense may seem quick and easy, but in reality, it's a lot harder than I thought.  Sure changing 'did' to 'do' or vice versa is easy, the hard part is when a sentence or paragraph is written in the wrong tense.  You have to go in and rearrange the whole structure to make sure the flow is just right.  Not.  That.  Easy.
  3. First revisions lead to second revisions.  And most likely third.

So what's next?  Revision #2 of course.  Oh, and a few select test readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment